Industrial Safety Precautions
Important factors for safety measure:
- Material handling and its storage are very common functions in a plant. Material handling when performed manually the chances of injuries are greater. Therefore the following points should be taken care for carrying out such tasks. All material handling equipments such as conveyers, automotive guided vehicles, robots, cranes should carry proper guards for its gears and other dangerous moving parts to prevent access from these parts during operation. All hoisting devices must be equipped with limit switches for preventing loads block from over traveling accidentally. Hoisting equipment especially cranes, should only be operated by properly trained personnel for avoiding all sorts of mishaps or accidents. While operating a crane, the operator should be entirely guided by standard signal and both operator and his signaler should be thoroughly trained.
- Proper protections against fire and explosion hazards are required when gasoline operated crains are being used. Where manual loading is done on conveyors which run along a vertical path, either partially or totally, safe load sign should be prominently displayed on all loading stations. Sufficient lighting, ventilation, drainage, escape ways and guarding should be provided for conveyors which run in pits, tunnels and similar other enclosures. Riding on a conveyor should always be prohibited. All the persons working on or around the conveyor must wear tight cloths and safety shoes. All rotating, reciprocating and projecting parts of machinery and equipments such as sprockets, gears, etc., should be adequately protected by proper guarding. An effective lubrication schedule should be worked out and implemented. All inspection should be carried out regularly and worn out parts, if any, should be replaced immediately.
- The workers should be properly trained to adopt safe working habits and proper supervision should be done while these operations are being carried out manually. Industrial personnel and unskilled workers should be adequately trained for adopting safe working habits in the proper ways of lifting and setting down the objects. They should be told to be careful from pinches and shear points and to grasp the articles firmly when lifting or setting down. Objects which are wet or dirty or have slippery surfaces, such as greasy or oily and wet articles should be completely wiped off dry before handling them. The hands should also be kept free of oil and grease. For preventing hand injuries the handlers should be made to wear protective clothing like leather hand gloves, sleeves, etc.
- The worker handling materials should always wear foot in order to prevent foot injuries. If an object is to be lifted and carried to some distance it should be ensured that the pathway is not slippery and there are no obstructions on the passage or way. The unskilled industrial workers should be properly trained for keeping correct positions of their feet, positions of back and knees, holding the object close to the body while lifting and carrying, correct and firm grip, position of chin and application of body weight in lifting and setting down by hand. This will help to prevent muscle strains and back injuries.
- When a gang or team of workers is used to carry a heavy load form one place to another the supervisor should ensure the use of proper tools and direct the work himself to ensure proper synchronization in the lifting, walking and setting down actions of all the workers involved. While transporting material by trucks, the truck should be operated at safe limit speed as specified and special care should be taken at blind corners and doorways. During storing material, it should be ensured that the electrical panels and installations and fire extinguishers and hoses are kept clear and have free accessibility. Also the pathways, entries and exits should always be kept clear for movement. The use of racks and bins enables more storage capacity, easy movement of material from one place to another and ensures better safety in an industrial organization.