- It is an alloy of copper, tin and zinc. It usually contains 88% copper, 10% tin and 2% zinc.
- This metal is also known as Admiralty gunmetal.
- The zinc is added to clean the metal and to increase its fluidity.
- It is not suitable for being worked in the cold state but may be forged when at about 600°C.
- The metal is very strong and resistant to corrosion by water and atmosphere.
- Originally, it was made for casting guns. It is extensively used for casting boiler fittings, bushes, bearings, glands, etc.
What is the properties of gun metal?
4/ 5Oleh Vishal Jaiswal