About Automation - Introduction
The creation and application of technology to monitor and control the production and delivery of products and services.
- Control–to regulate, direct or command.
- System –a collection, set of elements (subsystems)
- Control system –an interconnection of components forming a system configuration that will provide the desired system response.
- Physical variable
- Abstract ones: reference, set point or desired values for the output of the control system.
Output– the actual response resulting from a control system.
- Control systems can have more that one input or output.
- The input & the output present the desired response and the actual response.
Three basic types of control systems:
- Man-made (e.g. an electric switch)
- Natural including biological-control systems
- Components are man-made and natural
Control system applications:
- Space-vehicle systems
- Aircraft autopilots & controls
- Ship & marine control systems, intercontinental missile guidance systems.