What is crater wear?
- More common in ductile materials which produce the continuous chip.
- Crater wear occurs on the rake face.
- At very high-speed crater wear predominates.
- For crater, wear temperature is main culprit and tool defuse into the chip material & tool temperature is maximum at some distance from the tooltip.
- Crater depth exhibits linear increase with time.
- It increases with MRR.
- Crater wear has little or no influence on cutting forces, workpiece tolerance or surface finish.